I had the pleasure of speaking with Mike Dorsey, host of the Black Fathers Now podcast.
Mike D is a Husband and Father who's a curious and gifted communicator who values Engaging Experiences and Meaningful relationships. He's also a Speaker, Author and creator of the podcast "Black Fathers, NOW!"
Dynamic Black Fatherhood Manifesto by Mike Dorsey
We cover the topics of:
- Feeling needed without being arrogant
- Our definitions of success as black fathers
- Family travel tips, most important, bring grandparents for support
- Multi-generational connections with our kids and our parents
- Taking advantage of limited time left with grandparents
- Mike's purpose - Helping (individuals and organizations) develop the courage and confidence to double-down on who they authentically are
- Operating at the intersection of your greatness and intersection
- How our triggers can derail us from our greatness, as well as how to safeguard against our triggers
- Leveraging the G.I.F.T. Framework to achieve higher success
- Books recommended by Mike
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Dynamic Black Fatherhood Manifesto by Mike Dorsey
- The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L'Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution by C.L.R. James
- Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
- The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson
- Self-care routines in the midst of career and parenthood - prayer, meditation, exercise, and rest
- Two questions he ask his kids daily: "What are you thankful for and why?" and "What are you excited about and why?"
- "Drop the ball, not the egg" - recognize what's important and what can be dropped
- "If it's not a 'heck yeah', it's a no"
- The life map (aka "The tail end") by Tim Urban focuses on viewing life by events, not years then using it to emphasize not wasting the limited, precious time with loved ones
- Accepting the inevitability of death in order to motivate us to live a full life
- Growing into becoming the family elders
- Letting go of anger and resentment because life is too short for BS drama
- Life is spicy enough! Don't add nothing to it!